Wintergreen Adaptive Sports provides outdoor sports and recreational opportunities for persons of all ages with all types of disabilities.
At a Glance
Wintergreen Adaptive Sports focuses on safety, fun, and learning. It is an independent 501c3 non-profit based at Wintergreen Resort in Nelson County, Virginia. WAS is a Chapter of Disabled Sports USA and a Paralympic sports club.
- On the slopes WAS offers lessons in two-track skiing, three-track skiing, four-track skiing, mono-skiing, bi-skiing, and snowboarding.
- Over 2,500 students with disabilities have received adaptive instruction in outdoor sports through WAS.
- Over a hundred volunteer instructors participate in both winter and summer programs each year as junior and senior level instructors.
- In the summer, people of all ages with a wide array of disabilities have enjoyed paddling canoes and kayaks with WAS's instructional teams.
- A 5K Race and Fundraiser was launched in 2011 and is growing each year.
- WAS celebrated its 12th Annual Wounded Warriors Weekend in 2016, offering Wounded Warrior athletes, and their family members and caregivers, an exciting weekend of snow sports instruction, rest and relaxation, and camaraderie.
- The Wounded Warrior Golf Tournament and clinic, started in 2009, is a widely anticipated mid-summer event.
- The WAS slope-side hut, constructed in 2000 and expanded in 2005, houses the entire adaptive snow sports program.
- Part of this program's powerful educational environment comes from its mentoring program which is expanding the opportunities for students' inclusion and participation.